High School Equivalency (HiSET®)

There are two ways for adults to finish high school:

  1. Complete the credits you need to earn the Dover Adult High School Diploma. Open to NH high school students. 
  2. Pass the HiSET® exam and receive a high school equivalency certificate from the State of NH. (See Below)

Our counselors can help you determine the best option.

The HiSET® exam, created by ETS is the state-approved test New Hampshire uses to measure High School Equivalency. Classes and testing are offered at the Adult Learning Center in Dover and Rochester. Computer and paper based testing are available at both locations. 

Steps to HiSET®

1. Call 742-1030 to make appointment with a counselor.

2. Take free diagnostic testing to see if your skills need improving.

3. Enroll in Adult Basic Education classes, if needed. Classes are free and open entry during school year. Study online, or work with a tutor if needed.

4. When ready, take practice tests to qualify for official exams.

5. Register for official HiSET® testing. Must have a government-issued photo ID and arrangements for paying the test fees ($25 per subtest.)

Download the pdf

The HiSET® exam replaced the GED in 2013, as the state’s option for testing HS equivalency.