Dover Adult Learning Center of Strafford County helps all adults who seek to learn enhance their skills and improve their lives through education, job prepartion, high school completion, and enrichment classes. We help our students become more effective lifelong learners, family members, workers, and citizens.
The Adult Learning Center has been recognized as an Outstanding Adult Education Program by the US Secretary of Education several times in its 40 plus year history, is one of the three largest Adult Education Programs in New Hampshire.
Superintendent of Schools
Dover School Board
Statement of Philosophy
The following principles guide the Learning Center board of directors and staff in all programs:
1. We treat participants with respect; we value their opinions and take their personal goals, experiences, and needs into account.
2. We individualize instruction, as required, building on participants’ strengths and prior learning, as well as helping them remediate their educational weaknesses.
3. We remove barriers to participation by providing an accepting atmosphere and by offering, whenever possible, a variety of learning options, flexible schedules, free or affordable classes, and support services such as child care.
4. We seek the development of each participant to his or her fullest potential, designing educational experiences to maximize each person’s independence and to empower people to carry out their personal, family, and political responsibilities and to become as economically independent as possible.
5. We emphasize opportunities for least educated adults, providing general educational services for the community when such services do not interfere with our primary emphasis.
The Dover Adult Learning Center, Inc. is an affirmative action, equal opportunity agency that does not discriminate in its education programs or policies, activities, scholarship programs, or employment practices on the basis of race, color, national & ethic origin, marital or veteran status, age, sex, non-job-related medical condition or handicap, or any other legally-protected status.